[mythtv-users] Processor recommendations - low power, low heat, enough oomph was: Awsome Case

raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Thu May 3 15:41:38 UTC 2007

Brian wrote:
> With a case as small as the Hiper, I'd be very concerned of
> heat problems. The specs for the case state a max CPU cooler height of
> 40mm and a single 50mm fan. That's not much room to play
> with. The little 50mm fan at 3000rpm would be fairly loud. I guess the
> only way is to try it out. They listed another case that appears to come
> without a motherboard (HMC-2K53A-A0) but it's not available yet. (A
> forum posting somewhere mentioned they're only available to system
> integrators at the moment).
>
> I was intending to use the Antec Fusion but I really like the
> appearance/size of the Hiper case. Unfortunately, I'd prefer two
> internal HDDs as I'd rather not have my HTPC dependant on another box
> right now but want alot of storage space. Given my requirements, I may
> be stuck with both a FE and a BE.
>
> I *was* considering an Opteron 170 for my new FE/BE but I've had poor
> results temperature-wise with my Opteron 185 workstation. It runs
> extremely hot (40C idle, 64C load) and I'm debating on returning the
> processor. While I haven't measured, I'm sure the CPU cooler on my Opty
> 185 is MUCH taller than 40mm. This is a bummer as I have four 939 m/bs
> and 8Gb of DDR400 RAM kicking around. Maybe it's time to do some selling
> on eBay. (ugh!)
>
> What processors offer the best performance/cost/heat/power
> consumption combination right now? The Intel Core Duo 2s? The mobile
> Intel Cores?
>
> I'd like to build a single FE/BE with HDMI w/ audio, one or two 750Gb
> SATA HDDs (software RAID 0 if two) and a PVR-350 (for survellience
> cameras). I'd like enough processor to record up to 4 HD streams over
> firewire at the same time, be able to commflag as needed. If possible,
> I'd the system to also handle my cable Internet connection as well
> (iptables/nat, dhcpd, ntpd, named, vpn). I really don't want to spend
> more than $300 on a processor though. Any recommendations?
>
> Would an AMD64-4000 be enough to play HD content?
>
> Thanks!
> -Brian

I think some people have found in the past that it is possible to do HD
with that speed. I believe there have been some previous posts where
Jarod Wilson has something slower in the 3000 range doing HD as well.

I might be able to use a matx 939 board. You can email me off list if
you want to sell one of the extras you have laying around.
Raphael