[mythtv-users] Small, low cost MythTV clients...

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Thu May 3 15:39:37 UTC 2007

On 5/3/07, David Whyte <david.whyte at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/3/07, Todd Ignasiak <ignasiak at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Summary of my initial impressions:
> >
> > The DMS-520 HD UPnP client shows a lot of promise.  Setup was simple,
> > and basic HD playback was great.  But, the playback controls are too
> > limiting, providing no way to bookmark/resume playback and no usable
> > FF/skip option.    Sitting through commercials is painful enough to me
> > that I will be returning the unit to the store for now.
>
> I thought I saw some dev or commit msgs recently about FF/RW over
> UPnP.  Not saying you shouldn't return the unit, but at least there
> could be a fix in the works.

That ticket (#3344) was dealing with a bug in FF/REW, where playback
would jump back to the beginning of the file after stopping FF/REW.

 With the D-Link, even when FF is working, it's too slow to be usable.
   It has an option for "Jump" mode FF/REW, but for some reason the
D-Link says that mode is not supported when I try it with Myth.  It
gives an error message saying to switch back to FF/REW scan mode.
I'm not sure if that's an issue with the D-Link device/firmware, or an
issue with its communication with MythTV.

I'm also wondering if the new UPnP AV 2.0 stuff will add features
MythTV can use.  The only information I have seen on it doesn't give
any feature descriptions beyond the support for DRM (Oh joy..  just
what we need).