[mythtv-users] Would HDhomerun work with Verizon Fios TV service?

Byron Poland wpoland at gmail.com
Thu May 3 15:01:08 UTC 2007

On 5/2/07, Andrew Kimpton <awk at awkward.org> wrote:
> Rick wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just purchased a HD Sharp LCD which has QAM and over the air digital
> > tuners.  Would these tuners and/or HDhomerun work with Verizon Fios TV
> > or is their method proprietary?
> >

> FIOS uses regular QAM inside the home, however in my experience all but
> the commonly available Free To Air channels are encrypted (even those
> you might consider 'basic' such as TNT or A&E). Local broadcasts
> (including their HD format) and local cable access channels are not
> however generally encrypted.
> > Thanks,
> > Rick
>
> Andrew 8-)

http://policyblog.verizon.com/policyblog/blogs/policyblog/czblogger1/269/fios-engineer-answers-your-questions-ii.aspx

5th question down is mine,

"Q. Does FiOS have the Free to air OTA Networks available to TV's
equipped with QAM tuners? so that an additional box @ $5 a month isn't
required for all televisions.

A. Yes. We carry SD over the air channels both in analog and QAM. HD
OTA is carried over QAM only. TVs with built in QAM tuners will be
able to view all unencrypted content over QAM. Of course, an HD TV
with an integrated QAM tuner is required to view the unencrypted HD
content."

I posted it to comments on zatznotfunny.com when I saw a posting
soliciting questions for verizon on fios.  I had the hdhomerun, and
other QAM tuners in mind as well.

I've also read recently that they send out analog of the first 49
channels from the ONT box while this isn't anything special because it
is all locals, and cable access type channels, its worth noting for
people who don't have hd/qam setups currently, but are thinking of
getting fios tv.