[mythtv-users] Would HDhomerun work with Verizon Fios TV service?

Andrew Kimpton awk at awkward.org
Thu May 3 01:28:33 UTC 2007

Rick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just purchased a HD Sharp LCD which has QAM and over the air digital
> tuners.  Would these tuners and/or HDhomerun work with Verizon Fios TV
> or is their method proprietary?

FIOS uses regular QAM inside the home, however in my experience all but
the commonly available Free To Air channels are encrypted (even those
you might consider 'basic' such as TNT or A&E). Local broadcasts
(including their HD format) and local cable access channels are not
however generally encrypted.