[mythtv-users] Mythtranscode

gwgrover at windstream.net gwgrover at windstream.net
Wed May 2 18:15:09 UTC 2007

Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 18:46:45 -0400
From: Boleslaw Ciesielski <bolek-mythtv at curl.com>
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Mythtranscode
To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

bolek-mythtv at curl.com wrote:
>The option is actually -e dvd (or -ostream dvd). AFAIK it only works for
>lossless mpeg2->mpeg2 transcodes but maybe that's old limitation.
>
>The resulting file can be fed directly to dvdauthor (assuming it has the
>right resolution). If you want just a simple DVD without menus, with a
>single file, it's something like this:
>
>dvdauthor -o TMPDIR -t -f foo.mpg
>dvdauthor -o TMPDIR -T
>
>You can then burn contents of TMPDIR as DVD-Video.
>
>Bolek

Thank you for the reply Bolek;
First, there is a discrepancy between the mythtv 20 release notes and the mythtranscode help file
Also, you are correct, paremeter  is "-e dvd" NOT "--dvd".  Mythtranscode also does not produce an error  when "--dvd" is used.

Next, thank you for the two dvdauthor commands - that was what I needed.

Lastly, this in not a mythtv problem, but I'll mention it anyway.
The sequence of the options specified for "growisofs" is critical when burning a DVD-RW!
(as opposed to a DVD-R)

[growisofs -dvd-video -Z /dev/sr0 -V 'The Saint' /mythworkfile/TMPDIR]   DID NOT WORK;
The dvd-rw this command produced would not play on the stand-alone dvd player

[growisofs -Z /dev/sr0 -dvd-video -V 'The Saint' /mythworkfile/TMPDIR]   The DVD-RW this command
produced played without any problems on a stand-alone dvd player.

Gary