[mythtv-users] Ubuntu Edgy -> Feisty upgrade report

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed May 2 00:27:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-05 at 17:57 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:

> Agreed, but many scripts and much software are/is not written this way.

Oh?  How are they written?  Hardcoded drive specifications in the
software?  What use would that be since drive configuration changes from
system to system?  Do you have any specific examples of software which
will work only with /dev/hd* drive specifications?

> This fact has to be known by the developers of the kernel. No "upgrade"
> should ever be made that the upgraders know will break things, even if
> they are "right" morally and technically, without a long and clear
> warning to everyone.

Uhm, libata has been coming for a long time.  Maybe *you* didn't get any
warning but it's been coming down the kernel pike for a long time.  But
again, I am asking for specific examples of software where a change
from /dev/hd* to /dev/sd* cannot be handled.

> There is a lot of bad software and a lot of inexperienced users out
> there, you may not like it but it is reality.

So given that bad software exists, we should always make sure we
continue to work with it and never make progress for the better?

> That's the kind of arrogance I expect from the likes of MS.

You are getting all bent out of shape for nothing I suspect.  You tell
me of software that won't work with /dev/sd* drive specifications and
we'll see how out of proportion you are blowing this (or not).

> A far better solution would be to have an explanation at the start of
> the upgrade process, and give the user a choice of selecting the old
> behavior or the new, and a chance to migrate smoothly.

Well, if your distro didn't handle the upgrade, that's their fault, not
the kernel developers (and before you go telling me that is who you are
blaming, go re-read sentence two of paragraph one of your e-mail to
which I'm responding).

b.

Brian J. Murrell