[mythtv-users] Is Wider better?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Tue May 1 23:18:58 UTC 2007

On 5/2/07, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:

> Steve Hodge wrote:
> > SD does not mean 4:3 only. It is perfectly possible to receive and
> > record widescreen SD. I don't know if widescreen SD is available in
> > the US, but it certainly is in other countries.
>
> Unfortunately, here in the US, broadcast content is via NTSC, which  is
> only 480i 4:3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDTV,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC).  TV shows recorded in widescreen
> format get crammed in to a 4:3 transmission, giving us the added joy of
> black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. :(

So the broadcasters letterbox all widescreen SD content in the US? Over here
in NZ we've currently got the opposite problem: one of the stations is
broadcasting everything widescreen (at least on DVB-S) and pillarboxing 4:3
content. Also very annoying.

My bad, though.. Since Peter already has MythTV running and recording
> stuff, I took a guess that "wide format" meant an HD 16:9 signal, and,
> if that is the case, then that's where what I said previously comes in
> to play.  The PVR-350 won't record HD content unless it is "down
> converted" to the equivalent of SD content.

Yes, no question about that.

Cheers,
Steve