[mythtv-users] Ubuntu Edgy -> Feisty upgrade report

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue May 1 22:46:25 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-05 at 14:20 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:

> But that always has been a drawback with Linux, if you move drives
> around their names change, unlike Solaris or the like.

This is why you should not use the /dev/[hs]d* names and use something
more static like the /dev/disk/by-{uu,}id paths.  They will remain
static no matter where your drive is.  If you took it out of the machine
and put into a USB enclosure you should still see it at the same path.

> Too bad just
> changing hda to sda will not correct this.

No.  See above.

> Should work, but somehow I suspect it won't be that easy.

Really.  It is.  Or use the:

UUID=12b8250a-d031-4ee1-b486-5e67478d06b4 /boot ext3 defaults 0 2

nomenclature in /etc/fstab.

b.

Brian J. Murrell