[mythtv-users] Small, low cost MythTV clients...
ignasiak at gmail.com
Tue May 1 16:29:25 UTC 2007
On 5/1/07, Jason Sullivan <jason0x21 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/1/07, Todd Ignasiak <ignasiak at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have seen mentions of several other UPnP clients being used with
> > MythTV, but no detailed information. What would be useful is a Wiki
> > page detailing UPnP clients with details about how well they work with
> > MythTV and perform other common functions like DVD playback, JPEG
> > picture viewing, music playback, etc. As people try devices like
> > this one, they can fill in the details about if it works with MythTV,
> > and how well it works.
> You mean like this one?
No, not really. That's the only page I had found on the Wiki, and I
was looking for a bit more detail on how each device worked with
MythTV. Maybe they all work equally well, and interact the same
way.. but I doubt it.
For example, here is the full descriptions of the UPnP client hardware
on that page:
* D-Link DSM-520, MediaLounge Wireless HD Media Player.
* Denon AVR-4306, 7.1 Home Theater MultiMedia A/V Receiver
(music/audio only!), (stand-alone hardware player).
* I-O DATA LinkPlayer2, A High Def capable DVD player, supports
WMV and DivX as well as MPEG2 formats.
* Buffalo PC-P3LWG/DVD Buffalo LinkTheater High-Definition
Wireless Media Player.
Not a whole lot of detail there.. I think a table with some items
like the following would be helpful:
- Supports SD / HD MPEG2 Video from MythTV
- Supports SD / HD H.264 Video from MythTV
- Quality Ratings for Video playback; audio-sync, smooth video,
problems over longer periods
- Displays Photos from Myth (any special features or limitations,
audio during slideshows?)
- Plays Music from Myth (MP3, AAC, OGG, FLAC, etc.)
And even some info about how it interacts with other devices would be
helpful in comparing..
- Plays DVDs or VOBs streamed from PC
- Works with other Picture mgmnt apps (Adobe Photo Album, iPhoto, etc.)
- Works with Audio mgmnt apps (iTunes, Windows Media, etc.)
Also, some screenshots or even a screencast, or how MythTV interacts
with a UPnP frontend would be great. I have seen some complaints
about how the UPnP devices show lists of content from MythTV. Maybe
some do a better job than others. But, just showing a few
screenshots would give people a better idea of what to expect, and
help with deciding whether to build a full MythTV frontend, or go with
a UPnP device.
More information about the mythtv-users