[mythtv-users] Serial Header?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sat Mar 31 00:48:14 UTC 2007

John Pierce wrote:
> I know that someshould make a cable that
> will attach to the header and give me a serial port, maybe taking the
> form of a slot bracket.
>
> Any suggestion where to look or shop would be appreciated.

I don't know where to find them, except dead PCs. (I've always just
reached into my big box o' cables and come up with one.)  It used to be
every motherboard came with a pair.  ATX has made them a little harder
to find, since most ATX boards have a DB9 port already attached to the
motherboard.

One word of caution: There are two different wiring standards for these
cables.  One simply has all the wires in order, from pin 1 through pin
9.  The other alternates pins from the upper and lower ranks -- 1, 6, 2,
7, etc.  If you use the wrong kind, you won't damage anything, but the
port won't work right.