[mythtv-users] UK Freview HD isers - what specs are your frontends

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 13:08:59 UTC 2007

On 3/29/07, Stroller <linux.luser at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> On 28 Mar 2007, at 15:30, David Campbell wrote:
> > I'll be getting Sky HD later in the year (house move) but I'd like to
> > play a bit until then
>
> If you're able to bolt the dish to the wall & align it yourself then
> you could get hi-def BBC with a DVB-S card.

This is the way I went about it - brand new mini-dish and second hand
nova-s totalled around £70 on ebay, another £10 or so for cable/bolts
etc. If you've already got everything else up and running, it's a
pretty cheap way of adding a satellite feed.

In relation to the original question, my Core 2 Duo E6600 cannot
playback BBC HD in realtime using either mplayer or mythtv. This is
primarily because it doesn't make use of both cores.

Using the coreavc patches for mplayer gives excellent video playback
with slight a/v sync issues. For Mythtv with the coreavc patches,
playback only takes around 40-50% of each core but there's lots of
frame skipping. There's an issue somewhere in myth but it's proving
pretty hard to track down - possibly related to the AC3 sound.

Regards

Mark