[mythtv-users] Custom Recording File Path/Name Format

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 28 22:49:22 UTC 2007

On 03/28/2007 06:06 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Mar 28, 2007, at 2:47 PM, Mark Covington wrote:
>> What's your intent in splitting them out like this?  Are you planning
>> on viewing the recordings external to Mythtv?
>>
>> A better method might be to use symlinks.  Have your userjob move &
>> rename the file to whatever folder and create a symlink from your
>> recording directory to the new file.  There's an option in the
>> settings to MythTv follow links.  I'd assume this would delete the
>> linked file not just the link when you do a delete from within Myth.
>>
>> If you get creative with the mysql you could even have it rename
>> based on episode title, and create a new directory for a show if
>> necessary.
> Maybe even add an option to mythrename.pl since a lot of that
> functionality is already in there and you can give back to the
> community easily. :)

I think all the functionality is already in Myth contrib scripts.

Creating links that point to the MythTV recordings is done by mythrename.pl.

Moving MythTV recordings and creating links in the MythTV recording
directories that point to the files in their new locations is done by
myth_archive_job.pl .

Mike