[mythtv-users] Windows frontend / upnp

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 21:23:31 UTC 2007

On 3/28/07, Brian D. Frost <bfrost at brainboy.com> wrote:

> I have lurked for a while and googled even longer but havent found a good
> windows frontend for windows. I have used winmyth and mythtvplayer but they
> arent quite the frontend that I am looking for (for my wife).
>
> Any thoughts on using mythdora or knoppmyth in a vmware appliance or using
> an opensource uPNP frontend (Mediaportal type thing)?
>
> Until I convert my wife to linux, any one have any personal experience
> with this? I am running .20...

Just for fun I installed knoppmyth on a virtual machine.  Playback of
standard definition mpeg-2 recordings was unacceptably choppy.  It maxed out
both CPU's of my 3Ghz Pentium D.  A fast core 2 duo/quad processor might
give you enough power for smooth playback.  But any HDTV playback would be
impossible I think.  The problem is the virtual machine can't use any
hardware GPU acceleration.

What frontend features are you missing?  mythtvplayer and mythweb pretty
much cover all the bases I think.