[mythtv-users] reprise: improve frontend usability: working with a slick remote

Carl Reynolds mythtv-users at hyperbole-software.com
Wed Mar 28 16:09:49 UTC 2007

come se fosse antani wrote:

> I don't know if the way myth use to accept input is easy to change
> simply with a different OSD theme. ..
> there is any developer that can confirm such statement?

It's not just a matter of changing an OSD theme to make it do the things
you want to do. You would also have to make some rather major changes to
the way tv_play.cpp handles the input from the remote so that the
command you want to transmit to myth are recognized by the OSD menu.

I personally would not be interested in such a change, since as Bert Von
Kets pointed out you are increasing the depth of the command menu so
that every time you want to enter a command you are traversing a menu
tree rather than going directly to the command with a remote key.
However, I assume there may be people who don't care how quickly they
can get to Play, Pause or Stop when the video is Fast Forwarding (I wish
there were a less awkward term for that operation) past the part of the
program they were trying to get to.

There seem to be a couple of people like that in this discussion, so I
would recommend that you break out vi and start looking at modifying the
code in tv_play.cpp and make a new OSD theme so you can operate MythTV
in the way you suggest.

Some times, it's just better to make a prototype than to spend a lot of
time discussing an idea. (Not to suggest that you should stop discussing
this, if you're interested. I think this is an interesting discussion.
I'd like to see it developed further.)

BTW: I'm not one of the developers, I just have a fair amount of
familiarity with he way tv_play works.

Carl.