[mythtv-users] low-cost low-grief remote

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Wed Mar 28 04:20:35 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 27 March 2007 21:40, Bill Williamson wrote:
> On 3/28/07, Rod Smith <mythtv at rodsbooks.com> wrote:
> > Somebody else posted a link to a pretty inexpensive IR keyboard:
> >
> > http://www.directron.com/ack581.html
> >
> > If you happen to already have a suitable universal remote, that ought to
> > work pretty well. If not, the universal remote will set you back more --
> > either a little more (another $10-$20) with much more effort to configure
> > (using a JP1 interface) or much more ($50-$200) with easier remote
> > configuration (using a Logitech Harmony or similar high-end remote).
>
> This receiver plugs in via ps2... does that mean that it woudln't work
> with LIRC with generic remotes, or should it still be "all happy" ?

It wouldn't work with LIRC or most low-cost remotes; it would bypass LIRC but
would require use of either the keyboard that comes with the package or a
remote that could be configured to emulate that keyboard. As I mentioned in
the earlier post, certain high-end remotes, such as the Logitech Harmony, can
be programmed to do this sort of thing relatively easily (although this is
easiest if you can find a ready-made configuration file for the keyboard IR
protocol). Some cheaper remotes with JP1 interfaces can also be programmed to
emulate an IR keyboard, but they require more knowledge, and some models
require hardware hacks to add chips and/or interface plugs to the remotes.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com