[mythtv-users] low-cost low-grief remote

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Wed Mar 28 01:33:26 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 27 March 2007 21:41, Angus wrote:
> Rod Smith wrote:
> >
> > 6) One alternative to using LIRC is to use a wireless keyboard.
>
>     Which is definitely not the way to do it on the cheap.

Somebody else posted a link to a pretty inexpensive IR keyboard:

http://www.directron.com/ack581.html

If you happen to already have a suitable universal remote, that ought to work
pretty well. If not, the universal remote will set you back more -- either a
little more (another $10-$20) with much more effort to configure (using a JP1
interface) or much more ($50-$200) with easier remote configuration (using a
Logitech Harmony or similar high-end remote).

>     Also, I've
> already tried running MythTV with a keyboard, and I found that some
> menus just wouldn't work. I assumed that this was because these menus
> wouldn't work with a keyboard, but they would once I got a decent remote.

Can you be more specific? I've never had problems getting menus to respond to
my keyboards. (I've got frontends on two systems; one is my frontend in my
living room with an IR keyboard and remote and the other is a desktop system
that I use with a wired keyboard and no remote, but I mostly use the latter
system just to do tests and schedule recordings.)

>     Assuming everything you put is accurate, I wish I had found this
> information when going through FAQs and the Wiki. Maybe it should be put
> there.

This is an ongoing discussion, with my responses having only part of the
answer. If you'd care to use excerpts from my posts in a wiki entry, please
feel free to do so.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com