[mythtv-users] mythfrontend and mythtv-setup cant connect to db

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Mar 27 22:30:06 UTC 2007

Ben Edwards wrote:

> OK, now this is getting really strange.  I have removed all the
> mysql.txt files but one  and I have even changed the mythtv user to
> mythtvx and the Access Demied error changes accordingly.  If rename
> the file mythfrontend says it cant find the mysql.txt, so I it must be
> using the one I think.
> BUT  'DBHostName=' and the error says to
> (which is localhost).
> So i put and entry in /etc/hosts ' pilger' and pinged it
> to test.  I then tried  'DBHostName=pilger' and guess what error I
> get:
> Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'' (using password: YES)
> Any idea what is going on?

No but it is clearly munged...
Try looking at the access permissions: Run

mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
 > use mysql;
 > select host,user,password from user;

This will list all users, the hosts they are entitled to access and the
hash of their password. As root you can:

delete from user where user = 'mythtvx'; etc amd clean out everything.

Then go back and run the mc.sql script ( mysql -u root -p < mc.sql)

That script is in the mythtv/database/ folder of an SVN download. Make
whatever amendments you want to it and try again.

              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor
       Suite 106, 150 Lakeshore Road West
          Mississauga, Ontario, L5H 3R2