[mythtv-users] Premium Content

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Tue Mar 27 20:12:41 UTC 2007

Joe Votour wrote:
> The key though, is that in order to actually do anything useful with the
> stream, MythTV must see it as unencrypted, so that it can parse the
> MPEG-2/MPEG-4 data do determine commercial positions, and things like
> that.

I wonder if it would be possible for Myth to store dual versions of
encrypted HD content, one encrypted full resolution, one downsampled to
SD resolution.  It could determine commercial positions using the
downsampled version, and apply the markers to the encrypted data for
commercial skipping.  It could display the HD content at full res
through a cable card enabled decryptor that doesn't expose the MPEG
stream to the bus, unless the OSD needed to be displayed in which case
it would cut the HD and show SD with the overlays (do you really need
full HD when the overlay is showing?).

Complicated, and uses much more storage, but it might be the only
workable way to get commercial HD channels in a FOSS project.  A side
benefit would be that you would automatically have SD versions for SD
only frontends.

Jeff.

--
I haven't smoked for 7 months, 1 week and 3 days,
saving $1,002.15 and not smoking 6,681.06 cigarettes.