[mythtv-users] low-cost low-grief remote

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 18:14:00 UTC 2007

On 3/27/07, jedi at mishnet.org <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

> > On Tuesday 27 March 2007 00:07, Angus wrote:
> >> I've been trying to understand what array of remote options there are
> >> out there for MythTV, but I haven't been able to piece together the
> >> information I need. I've been reading about remotes that can be gotten
> >> on the cheap, but the documentation seems to be completely unaware that
> >> they all need an IR receiver. My tv card has a remote, with an IR
> >> receiver, but it seems to be a waste of space, since I haven't been
> able
> >> to get it to do anything but get irrecord to fail. Speaking of which,
> >> I'd like a low-grief solution, meaning something highly compatible with
> >> MythTV, and simple to configure.
> >>     So can someone recommend a compatible model of remote and IR
> >> receiver for not too much? I hear that places like Radio Shack and Best
> >> Buy probably have the material I'm looking for, or in this country: The
> >> Source and Future Shop.
> >
> > Others have posted some good comments, but I'd like to clarify some
> > important
> > facts and distinctions:
> >
> > 1) MythTV is a keyboard-controlled application. MythTV itself has,
> AFAIK,
> >    no awareness of remote controls. To use a remote with MythTV, you
> >    must have a way to make the remote "look" like a keyboard to MythTV.
> >    Typically, this is the job of LIRC, but there are other options.
>
> MythTV is very much a remote control aware application.
>
> It accepts messages passed from lirc just fine. No shenanigans like
> converting button events to keyboard events is required.

You made two conflicting statements there.  MythTV is NOT remote aware.
MythTV is LIRC aware.  The two are very different.  Unfortunately LIRC is a
horrible hodgepodge of a program.  Getting LIRC working correctly certainly
counts as "shenanigans" in my book.

What is really needed is a USB ir receiver that works as a HID device (USB
standard for Human Interface Devices).  That would alleviate the LIRC
hassle.