[mythtv-users] XvMC not working - Nvidia

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 09:01:54 UTC 2007

R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Damian Surr wrote:
>
>> Yan Seiner wrote:

> Well I just tried glxgears here on my Intel 2.4G P4 with nvidia NV44A
> (Geforce 6200) and got a whacking great 15FPS if I hid the gear window
> behind the console window and about 8 FPS in the open.
>
> So 'glxgears is not a benchmark' is quite true. This system plays an HD
> test clip of tennis in xine using about 50% CPU total: about 40% xine
> and 10% X...
>
> But here is your real problem and a REAL speed up for you.
> Run glxgears and note your FPS.
> Run ps-ae and note if you have any acroread processes running.
> Run killall acroread.

I was hoping you had the answer here as your scenario seemed to look
similar to mine. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the case, though it
may well be something related.
"ps-ae" did nothing on my distro (ubuntu), so I went straight to ..
killall acroread
it didn't find anything to kill.
> Now re-run glxgears..... Mine jumped to 1275!!!!!  My Via SP13000 board
> at home has topped out at 796 FPS so 1279 fps  is just right.
>
> If you have suffered from slow screen reactions while in Firefox it may
> be because the acroread plugin is a cycle stealing piece of crap.
>
> Do 'cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins'
> Then 'mv nppdf.so nppdf.so.old'
> Then open an instance of firefox, open any page you like, pull up a
> console over that, try glxgears and get 1280 fps!

I looked in that directory, but there was nothing relating to acroread.

> That fixes the problkem at the expense of not being able to open pdf
> files natively in a browser window. You will have to select to download
> the file, and save it or open if with xpdf or gsview etc.
>
> Cost in mouse clicks to do this: 2
> Extra time to do this: 2 seconds
> Effect on computer speed: priceless.
>

> HTH
> Geoff

You may well be thinking along the right lines. Is there anything else
that could be causing this?

Damian