[mythtv-users] Wireless Pre-N for Linux?

Jarod Wilson lists at wilsonet.com
Mon Mar 26 05:48:05 UTC 2007

On Mar 25, 2007, at 16:25, Charles H. Chapman wrote:

>> Message: 4
>> Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 12:56:14 -0500
>> From: William Munson <william_munson at bellsouth.net>
>> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Wireless Pre-N for Linux?
>> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>>
>> Ken Mandelberg wrote:
>>> My 802.11G wireless setup is just two slow for HD between the
>>> front and
>>> backends. Are their Pre-N solutions with Linux drivers (USB, PC
>>> card nics)?
>>>

>> There are a number of wireless solutions for linux however its
>> still not
>> going to allow you to view HD over a wireless network. 802.11G is
>> just
>> not fast enough.  From what I can see, the only option is cat5/6
>> cable.
>> Fortunately for me, all I need the wireless connection for is
>> mythfilldatabase.
>
> This is simply not true.  I stream 1080i content (the highest
> resolution
> available to me) from my backend to the frontend via 802.11G without a
> hickup -- no stuttering, pixelation or anything like that.  802.11G
> has
> more than enough bandwidth to do the job.

Generally, it doesn't, you're a fortunate minority there. If there's
any kind of interference (walls, ceilings, microwaves, cordless
phones), the throughput of 802.11g usually can't sustain enough
throughput for HDTV.

Now 802.11n is supposed to be wunderbar for streaming HDTV, but I'm
not aware of any PCI or USB cards that work under Linux just yet.
Could always do some sort of hardware bridging setup, but that won't
be cheap. Some of the new PowerLine A/V stuff actually looks pretty
reasonable though...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com