[mythtv-users] I can't connect to mythbackend from remote computer

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 01:44:51 UTC 2007

On 26/03/07, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
> curtlee wrote:

> >> GeorgeDesktop:6543
> >>
> >> On your master server, you need to change its IP address from
> >> 127.0.0.1 to its actual IP address in mythtv-setup. The IP address is
> >> stored in the database, and the remote frontend will look it up. If
> >> it's set to localhost on the master machine, there is no way for the
> >> remote frontend to connect to it.
> >>

> > It's set to the correct ip address. I went step by step through the
> > mythtv.org documentation. This is really haunting me. I just don't know
> > what
> > to do.
>
> You might check your ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt file. If the first line says:
>
> DBHostName=localhost
>
> then your local mysql client is trying to talk to the *local* mysqld
> server... which does not have a mythconverg database....

(For the archive) This does not apply to curtlee's situation, as the
log posted earlier in the thread stated:

2007-03-24 20:32:35.892 Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host:
5.142.138.236

This shows the frontend successfully connecting to the mythconverg on
a real IP - the log would have stated something like (from my MFE
log):

2007-03-19 11:43:05.826 Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host: localhost

if mysql.txt file specified localhost as the DBHostName

As curtlee reinstalled and has things working now, I guess we'll never
know the exact reason for the connection problems.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/