[mythtv-users] Hardware information for MythTV frontend

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Mon Mar 26 00:56:50 UTC 2007

Luca Lucchesi wrote:
> Hi.
> I am about to purchase a fanless hardware for my new MythTV frontend.
> I founded this fanless mini-PC:
>
> - Lex Neo
> - CPU Via Eden 1 GHz
> - 256 Mb SDRAM PC133
> - Compact flash module instead an hard disk
>
> Do you think it will be enough for a MythTV frontend, or is is too little
> fast?
> The backend is provided by a Intel Pentium 4 server with 512 Mb or 1 Gb RAM
> DDR PC3200 and SATA hard disks connected in a 100 Mbit/sec LAN network.
>
> Thank you very much!
> Have a nice day.
> Luca.

What VIA chipset does it use? If it uses the VIA PLE133, then it does
not have hardware MPEG2 decoding. As a result, it is likely to have too
little horsepower for SDTV playback. If it has the VIA CLE266, then it
does have hardware MPEG2 decoding, so you will have enough horsepower
for SDTV playback.

Personally, I would use 512MB of RAM. With Compact Flash, you will
likely not want to have a swap partition. MythTV 0.20 with plugins can
use more than 256MB or RAM with swap.