[mythtv-users] Apple TV hacked to use other codecs

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 03:25:08 UTC 2007

On 3/24/07, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:

> playback HD.
> >>>

> >> I doubt it.  It doesn't have any MPEG-2 decompression support, only
> >> H.263 so the 1Ghz processor is unlikely to handle HD that we know it.
> >>

> > I thought H.264 was more cpu intensive to decode.  Would they have
> > optimized GPU assist for this one codec?  It's supposed to do 720p out
> > of the box
> >
> Given their plans to do H.264 hardware decoding on all their systems,
> I'd say yes.   Since it is the only codec used by iTunes.
>
> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20070308_001806.html
>
> Kevin

People on the Digg forums are asking if it would be possible to put a tuner
in one of these. I doubt it, but if somebody could get a myth frontend
running on one and could put up a video of it changing channels via a myth
backend I think it would go a long way to making Myth more popular.

Does anybody think Apple will come out with "fixes" in newer models of
AppleTVs to make them harder to hack, a la the Wii? Or is it that they don't
care? I can't really afford an AppleTV at the moment, but if this turns out
to be a great front end, and the next rev is un-hackable, I might have to
pick one up now.