[mythtv-users] HD Compression Artifacts

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sat Mar 24 05:10:08 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> I think Michael was going for the humor factor ("profit maximization").
>>

> Seems I missed...

I think HDTV as it's being implemented today is all about profit
maximization, not providing better-quality video.  For a while now
networks have been fretting about what to do about commercial-skipping,
which is cutting into their ad revenue.  I think that all the
difficulties with recording HDTV from cable feeds are not accidental.
This is their final solution to the problem.  Eventually, the only
time-shifting we'll be able to do is with officially sanctioned,
cable-company-provided DVRs, which of course will lack commercial skip
capability.