[mythtv-users] Automatic mythfilldatabase and WOL option

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 22:50:29 UTC 2007

On 23/03/07, migmog <migmog at gmail.com> wrote:
> > is it possible to wake up the b/e from an S3
> > state via the network from the f/e ? (some WOL option) and then have a
> > mythfilldatabase job running in the background when it resumed ?
> >

> Well, I tried to do this on my (admittedly 20th Century) backend
> machine. I can WOL from OFF (S5?)  but not from S3. I have a low power
> NAS box up 24/7 which wakes the backend periodically. The frontend
> also WOL's the backend when it starts up.
>
> Has anyone been able to WOL from S3?

Yes (at least I think so).

I believe the problem is that the halt script resets the NIC when
doing a soft shutdown, disabling the Wake On LAN.

The fix for me on Fedora FC6 was enable WOL near the end of

/etc/init.d/halt

eg  (the first two lines are the new ones)

be careful and good luck.

#Set the NIC for Wake-On-Lan
/sbin/ethtool -s eth0 wol g

# First, try kexec. If that fails, fall back to rebooting the old way.
[ -n "$kexec_command" ] && $kexec_command -e >& /dev/null

HALTARGS="-d"
[ -f /poweroff -o ! -f /halt ] && HALTARGS="$HALTARGS -p"

exec $command $HALTARGS
~