[mythtv-users] Automatic mythfilldatabase and WOL option

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 22:50:29 UTC 2007

On 23/03/07, migmog <migmog at gmail.com> wrote:
> > is it possible to wake up the b/e from an S3
> > state via the network from the f/e ? (some WOL option) and then have a
> > mythfilldatabase job running in the background when it resumed ?
> >
> Well, I tried to do this on my (admittedly 20th Century) backend
> machine. I can WOL from OFF (S5?)  but not from S3. I have a low power
> NAS box up 24/7 which wakes the backend periodically. The frontend
> also WOL's the backend when it starts up.
> Has anyone been able to WOL from S3?

Yes (at least I think so).

I believe the problem is that the halt script resets the NIC when
doing a soft shutdown, disabling the Wake On LAN.

The fix for me on Fedora FC6 was enable WOL near the end of

eg  (the first two lines are the new ones)

be careful and good luck.

#Set the NIC for Wake-On-Lan
/sbin/ethtool -s eth0 wol g

# First, try kexec. If that fails, fall back to rebooting the old way.
[ -n "$kexec_command" ] && $kexec_command -e >& /dev/null

[ -f /poweroff -o ! -f /halt ] && HALTARGS="$HALTARGS -p"

exec $command $HALTARGS