[mythtv-users] IVTV Bitrate & Resolution

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Fri Mar 23 21:18:24 UTC 2007

William Munson wrote:
> Tristan McCann wrote:
>> After many months, I finally found a very nice resolution and bitrate.
>> The resolution is 720x480, but the bitrate is 12000Mbps. I find that
>> bitrate pretty high, but the difference between 3500 VBR, 7000 VBR and
>> 12000 CBR (which is what it is now) is very noticeable.
>
> Personally I find that 6500/9000 for the bitrates gives a great quality
> picture for me. More than that and its wasted space. Also if you try to
> use mytharchive to make dvd's and your bitrate is over 10000 you may run
> into problems as (I think) a dvd expects a maximum of 9600 bps.

I use 5.8 Mbps at 480x480.  That was what my TiVo used on its "best quality"
setting, and I've had no issues with it.  On the increasingly rare occasions
that I need to export to DVD-Video, I reencode with mencoder to (1) eliminate
commercials, (2) deinterlace or do inverse telecine, (3) convert letterbox to
widescreen, and (4) scale from 480x480 (4:3) or 480x360 (widescreen) to
720x480.  Most stuff that I save anymore just gets encoded in its original
resolution to H.264 and stashed away on a USB hard drive.

  _/_
 / v \ Scott Alfter