[mythtv-users] How to: Recover 2GB from /var/log/mysql (Ubuntu, Mysql)

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Fri Mar 23 20:21:06 UTC 2007

Steven Adeff wrote:
>>> This is how mysql came setup on the Debian based system I use. I don't
>>> really no the difference between INNODB and MYISAM or what it takes to
>>> switch between the two...
>> It is true  - Debian does use INNODB by default.  Not a good thing IMVHO.
>> MYISAM = Fast, non ACID complaint, less features - will run MYTH fine
>> INNODB = Slow, ACID complaint, more features
>> Changing engine isn't for the MYSQL newcomer but it is very trivial -
>> see the ALTER TABLE pages of the MYSQL documentation
>> I won't post the exact syntax for fear of people cutting and pasting my
>> commands
>> Dave
> Thanks, I'll have to look into this.
> Perhaps it should be noted on the wiki for those setting up new
> databases that they should make sure they are set to use MYISAM?

I did the google thing as suggested above, and I could not find any
compelling reason NOT to use Innodb (which I do for almost all my
tables). I also recall not too long ago that Innodb was suggested by the
devs as helping with the scheduler query causing dropped video buffers.
Of the dozen or so pages I read from google, only one had a problem with
Innodb, and his problem seemed to be more one of not understanding the
ramifications of what he was doing, or the requirements. There was also
a good benchmark test series that showed Innodb beating MyISAM in almost
all tests.

I certainly couldn't find any reason for your vehement dislike of Innodb.