[mythtv-users] XvMC not working - Nvidia

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Fri Mar 23 12:42:09 UTC 2007

William Munson wrote:
> Damian Surr wrote:
>
>> William Munson wrote:

>>> Lets start out with a bit of background info.. What distro are you
>>> running? How are you installing your packages? Yum, apt-get or gentoo
>>> style build everything?
>>>

>> Hi William,
>>
>> Thanks for replying.
>> I'm using Ubuntu. Installed bits using the Synaptic Package manager
>> mainly. Some bits using apt-get.
>>
>> I did read last night that the sources have to be built (if that's the
>> correct terminology, I've never built a source in my life) to enable
>> XvMC, but I assumed that the Ubuntu installs were ok. Maybe I was wrong?
>>

> Save yourself a lot of grief. Install "envy" and let it install the
> latest nvidia drivers for you. You can find envy at this url.
>
> http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

I actually did that (sorry I didn't mention it, I forgot what it was
called). I installed the drivers manually following a guide, but got
nervous that I'd not done it properly because the 3D performance didn't
seem to be what I would expect (Planet Penguin Racer stutters and I
wouldn't expect it to on a 5200 even though I've only got a 1Gig Athlon
processor. Also, the simple 'fade in' of the log in screen in Ubuntu
seems to stutter. I really didn't expect that). I than did the envy
install and all seemed to go well. The 3D performance didn't change, but
I'm fairly confident that the drivers are installed correctly.

Damian