[mythtv-users] Enable DMA

Indulis Bernsteins indulis.b at au1.ibm.com
Fri Mar 23 05:25:07 UTC 2007

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to enable DMA on my HD Myth box to increase performance.  It
> works fine not but I have read so much about how DMA increases
performance
> so i figured I would give it a shot...
>
> Here is my system config
> Chipset - SiS
> Western Digital HDD 500GB SATA
>
> Heres some term output...
>
> [root at Mitchell_mc myth]# /sbin/hdparm /dev/sda
>
> /dev/sda:
>  IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
>  readonly     =  0 (off)
>  readahead    = 256 (on)
>  geometry     = 60801/255/63, sectors = 976773168, start = 0
> (I take it that DMA is not ON)
>
> Trying to enable it....
> [root at Mitchell_mc myth]# echo "/sbin/hdparm -d1 /dev/hda" >>
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Yes you are right that when you did the "echo..." command the way you did,
you need to reboot.  This is 'cos you added a line to the end of the file
/etc/rc.d/rc.local (that is what >> does).  The commands in this file are
executed during system boot.

Now if you just type the command
              /sbin/hdparm -d1 /dev/hda
     Then it will execute right away