[mythtv-users] New to building computers and MythTV

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Mar 22 21:18:51 UTC 2007

>> You have not said where you are in the world. If you are in North
>> America, you REALLY have to consider the upgrade path you will have to
>> follow. Analog signals are going away in the not too distant future and
>> digital will be it. "Standard TV' as in 525 line NTSC level content will
>>   continue to exist for years but new content will be at higher
>> definition.
>
> This isn't entirely true.  Over the air (as in with an antenna) analog
> signals are going away soon, because of the federal mandate.  The new
> rules don't effect cable.  Of course, that's not to say that the cable
> companies won't decide to faze the analog channels out on their own.

    Even if they do, that doesn't matter. What really matters in
the end is whether or not you've got some sort of accessable video
feed. Given the large numbers of legacy hardware out there both in
terms of TV's and set top boxes, I don't see readily accessable
SD signals going away any time soon.

[deletia]

     ...been using digital cable with PVR's for years.