[mythtv-users] HD success!

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Mar 22 17:56:37 UTC 2007

On Mar 22, 2007, at 11:31 AM, Jon wrote:

>> So, just a heads-up if you're having trouble with your HD.
>> It may not
>> be the CPU horsepower, but the mobo that is lacking.  And for
>> US$36.99
>> from Newegg, the fix is cheap.
>>
>> --Yan
>
> In my experience the sound card is often to blame.  I've had a similar
> instance where I installed a sound card instead of using the
> onboard audio,
> the improvement was dramatic.

Sometimes turning off any on-board peripherals that are not being
used can help. Things like a parallel port, game port, serial port,
USB controllers, floppy controllers, firewire controllers, second
ethernet ports, basically anything that is using up interrupts or
other resources but not actually being used by your system should be
turned off in the BIOS setup. Turn off SATA ports if they are not
being used.

Some on-board ethernet controllers use a lot of resources, if you
have a mobo with two ports disabling the first one and using the
second sometimes helps.

Staying away from VIA chipsets is never a bad idea either.

When two motherboards have seemingly similar features but vastly
differing prices there is usually a good reason :-)