[mythtv-users] New to building computers and MythTV

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Mar 22 15:57:44 UTC 2007

Rod Smith wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 March 2007 12:29, Jon Sustar wrote:
>>> What types of broadcasts do you want to record, HiDef or Standard TV.
>> Standard TV

You have not said where you are in the world. If you are in North
America, you REALLY have to consider the upgrade path you will have to
follow. Analog signals are going away in the not too distant future and
digital will be it. "Standard TV' as in 525 line NTSC level content will
  continue to exist for years but new content will be at higher definition.

Yes its easy to do a low power analog only box, but you will need more
CPU power or better video output to do HD.

Just as an example, there are digital tuner cards (HD3000, HD5500) which
will do both analog and digital tuning. But there is no analog to
digital compression onboard, like the PVT150/500 have. So you need more
CPU power, *while recording*. On the display end, nvidia 5200/6200 cards
are cheap. They have lots of onboard hardware to speed up display
output, but you DO need a minimum level of CPU 'grunt' to do HD levels.

If you have no problem junking the box in a year and a half of so, then
none of this is important *today*. But you may want to consider these
things. Remeber too, that the requirements for the backend are NOT the
same as for a frontend. And even some of the backend requirements can be
side-stepped or downgraded if you use an HDHomeRun for digital
receptiom...Then the box only needs masses of storage... Although 2
network interfaces would be nice..unless you already have a router.

I suggest you browse the hardware sections of the wiki, and some of the
'what hardware' threads on the list archive at gossamer-threads.

This IS one area where a LOT of thinking beforehand can avoid all sorts
of later grief.

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury