[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun for SDTV?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Mar 22 15:07:42 UTC 2007

ryan patterson wrote:
> On 3/21/07, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>>
>> Don't top post please...See below.

>> > broadcasts. They dont _have_ to send the digital channels
>> > unencrypted... yet. Most companies do send all local channels
>> > unencrypted though.
>>
>> Because they are required by law to do so...Digital too. See below.

>> PVR350
>> to the
>> whether I

>> cable').
>> HD.

>> Well a quick browse through US 47 CFR lead me to chapter 76.56 which
>> says, in part...
>>
>>   47 CFR 76.56
>>    (b) Carriage of local commercial tele-
>>    vision stations. Effective June 2, 1993, a
>>    cable television system shall carry
>>    local commercial broadcast television
>>    stations...
>>   (c) With respect to digital signals of
>> a television station carried in fulfill-
>> ment of the must-carry obligations, a
>> cable operator shall carry the informa-
>> tion necessary to identify and tune to
>> the broadcast television signal.
>>   (f) Pursuant to § 76.64(f)(3), a local
>> commercial broadcast television station
>> that fails to make an election is
>> deemed a must-carry station. A cable
>> operator shall carry such a television
>> station on the cable system channel
>> number on which the local commercial
>> television station is broadcast over the
>> air, or ....or......[then] the cable operator shall place
>> the signal of such a television station
>> on a channel of the cable system's
>> choice, so long as that channel is included
>> on the basic service tier.
>>
>> *********
>> That seems to me to dispose of the question: the basic service tier is
>> not an encrypted service tier and a digital signal must carry the
>> identification and tuning information.
>>
>> I did NOT find the sections which provide penalties for failure to
>> comply. However, I noted that the FCC pages have a section on the
>> electronic filing of complaints. I would think that a complaint that a
>> cableco had failed to comply with the regulations under which it is
>> licenced would be dealt with by the FCC.
>>
>> Geoff
>> IAAL and therefore had no problem reading the CFR's....
>

> As I understand it local broadcast channels can force a cable company to
> carry their analog signal on the most basic tier.  This is not true for
> digital signals.  But if the cable company does carry a broadcast digital
> channel they must do so unencrypted for all tiers.

There are provisions concerning in effect exemptions from broadcasting
as 'must carry' channels, those that are basically simulcast with
already carried channels. So the local commercial station could elect
that the cableco mist carry the SD and analog channel and not the
digital version.. But that 'out' will soon disappear when the digital
switchover takes place....That's only about a year away now, isn't it?

Given that background, there could even be some room for the cableco to
elect to carry the digital version, and declare that the analog channel
is the duplicate...That is not particularly 'visible' in the wording of
the Regs and I was not reading for that understanding.

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor