[mythtv-users] Linux MCE project

Michael Tiller michael.tiller at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 14:28:34 UTC 2007

> A little over-enthusiastic on the presentation. All that working "out
> of the box" is a little misleading I think, especially since there is
> no "box".
>
> Not that such a system can't be built, and I have no doubt that for
> some folks it's a better solution than Windows-based systems, but
> raising expectations *that* high is bound to lead to disappointment
> for some, and probably a*lot* more traffic here :-)

It is very impressive although I could also have done without the snide
presentation.  I like one of the comments on the page "out of the box my
ass".  My sentiments exactly.

Don't get me wrong, its damn impressive (and its got me wondering how they
did all that!) but I simply cannot imagine this works out of the box.  Not
after all the effort I put into building my MythTV system and tuning it with
only half the functionality (i.e. doesn't turn my TV on, change the inputs
turn the receiver on, dim the lights, etc).

How can you not be turned off by the guy whining "oh no, I have to turn my
TV and receiver on".  I just don't like the tone.  If he had said "one neat
thing is that it knows to turn my TV and receiver on" would have been a much
better tone to set in my opinion.

Brian Wood

--
Mike