[mythtv-users] logs from transoding fills disk.

Stefan Thomasson stefan.thomasson at home.se
Thu Mar 22 09:04:28 UTC 2007

----------
Från: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org genom Rod Smith
Skickat: on 2007-03-21 15:02
Till: Discussion about mythtv
Ämne: Re: [mythtv-users] logs from transoding fills disk.

On Wednesday 21 March 2007 08:16, Stefan Thomasson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The only times I have had mythtv fail on me is during the following case:
>
> Sometimes when transoding and removal of commercials, mythtrancode
> fails and get into a loop putting the following in mytbackend.log
>
> Failed to decode frame.  Position was: 0
>
> This results in filling up the the parition I have mounted /var/log on
> which results in backend hanging, frontend is not able to access it
anyway.

On my combined frontend/backend system, the problem caused MythTV to delete
all its recordings as the disk filled. I was not in a good mood when I
discovered this problem!

> So the questions are
> - Is the looping a known issue with mythtranscode/mythtv? Solved?
> - Can I prevent the log to fill the disk? Possibillity to disable the
> log (wont stop MT from looping though).

One possibility I've considered to minimize the risk is to implement
per-file size limits. I *THINK* this is possible under Linux, but I'm not
100% positive of this. The trouble is that, depending on how the disk is
partitioned, this might affect recordings, so the limits would have to be
awfully high, particularly when recording HD content.

----

Yes something along this would be a fallback to prevent the entire machine
to die, but wouldn't I have the same problem with the backend locking
up/behaving badly since it cannot write its log files to disk?

Is it possible to make the logs work like /var/log/messages in that it
groups several identical lines into a single line?

//Stefan