[mythtv-users] Blu-Ray/HD-DVD versus MythTV HD recordings

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Mar 21 17:05:16 UTC 2007

On Mar 21, 2007, at 9:46 AM, jedi at mishnet.org wrote:

>     That's the nice thing about transcoding.

Quite true.

>     Burning DVD's kind of defeats the whole idea of a PVR. Plus a lot
> of stuff will get broadcast again & probably before you would want to
> watch it again.

True in most cases but not all. There are some things I remember
seeing in the past that I've never seen again, and even attempts to
purchase the programs have met with failure. Some of the older Nova
episodes fall into this category. Try buying the original
"Connections" series, not it's many spinoffs, you'll find you can't,
or if anyone knows where I can buy it please let me know :-)

There can be many reasons for this, copyright squabbles and even
downright "lost the tape" situations. I know of some programs that
have been tied up in court cases for years and even decades and can't
be aired or sold because of that.

I once went through some of the archive material that Sherman
Grinberg has in NYC, it's really unbelievable what's stored in vaults
in various places. The "Museum of Broadcasting" in NYC has an
incredible archive of old radio and TV stuff that you can watch if
you go there but can't be sold to the public.

So the best answer is "record everything", and at the very least
archive it to DVD before deleting it.