[mythtv-users] New to building computers and MythTV

David Schmidt david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 16:39:35 UTC 2007

On 3/21/07, Jon Sustar <digitaldoodler at gmail.com> wrote:

> > What types of broadcasts do you want to record, HiDef or Standard TV.
>

> Standard TV

Good!  Significantly lowers the CPU requirements (as in just about
anything bought new today will do if you use a hardware (PVR) capture
card.

> > Record TV for watching later?
> >

> Yup
>
> >  How many channels will you want to record at the same time?
> >

> I want to have 2 tuners, so I can record and watch at the same time.

Hauppauge 500 will do 2 on one card, or if (like me) you don't like
all your eggs in one basket, 2 150s will do also.

> > How much TV do you want to store for later viewing?
>
> For now, I'd probably get a 500gig HDD, but I would also want enough
> internal drive bays to allow for an additional 2 or 3 HDDS.

Standard def will usually be a little over 2G / hour.

> > How many TVs do you want to be able to use Myth on?
> >

> Most likely one, but would it be difficult to use it on two?

No.  Requires an extra 'puter for the other frontend, and living
somewhere that you can run network cable (ie probably not renting)

> ----
>
> Also, is it necessary to have a frontend and backend system?  Or can it all
> be run on the same box?

For SD, running backend + 1 frontend on any modern box is no problem
(I do it on a P3/450!).  Additional frontends without additional
hardware would be difficult to impossible.

> I've searched Google a lot for answers to a lot of these, but a lot of times
> the documents seem to be geared towards people who already know what they're
> talking about in regards to computer building.  I, on the other hand, know
> almost nothing.

Might try the wiki as well.....

Good luck!