[mythtv-users] Fox Chicago (WLFD) OTA HD - Nearly unwatchable

matthew.garman at gmail.com matthew.garman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 15:54:24 UTC 2007

Howdy!

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 10:28:43AM -0500, Michael Wisniewski wrote:
> It's nice to see somebody else on here from Chicago.  By any
> chance do you subscribe to a cable provider?  Comcast?  Wide Open
> West?  Not order the 'hi-def' package, but just get the basic
> cable?  If so, they are "required" by the FCC to carry the digital
> hi-def channels on the line.  That might help....it did for me.

Yup, I'm a Comcast subscriber (not particularly happy with them, but
it's the only option in my building).  I do have just the basic
cable too.

I've heard about this requirement.  The channels available OTA are
also not supposed to be encrypted, right (meaning, ideally, you
shouldn't need the cable box)?

I know this has been discussed, but I'm really not sure what to
search for: how does one use high-def from cable?  Do I need to run
through the cable box?  Or can I connect my mythtv directly to the
wall cable outlet?  Will my pchdtv-5500 capture the signal (i.e. is
it the same signal as OTA)?

I'll consider HD-via-cable as a backup for now: my goal was to get
the antenna working and cancel the cable service.

BTW, I think there's a fair number of Chicago-area folks on this
list---I've asked region specific questions before, and received a
lot of responses.

Thanks!
Matt