[mythtv-users] Fox Chicago (WLFD) OTA HD - Nearly unwatchable

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 15:08:30 UTC 2007

On 3/21/07, matthew.garman at gmail.com <matthew.garman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 09:29:42AM -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > On 3/21/07, matthew.garman at gmail.com <matthew.garman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm trying to record over-the-air HD via a pchdtv-5500.  It
> > > generally seems to work, except with Fox (WFLD).  In particular, my
> > > girlfriend's "American Idol" recordings are almost too lousy to
> > > watch.  The recordings will have a lot of "jumps" and studdering.
> > > Immediately prior to and following one of these blips is a lot of
> > > blocky pixelation and artifacting of the video.
> > <snip>
> >
> > how's the signal quality on that channel, sounds like your just
> > missing data? Does the recorded length look correct? usually when
> > packets go missing the time shown is a lot shorter.
>
> I'm not sure... how can I check signal quality?
>
> My *guess* is that the signal is decent, since I thought I remember
> Myth saying "unable to achieve signal lock" if the signal was too
> poor.

right, but if theres enough to get some data then it will receive a
lock, which it sounds like it is good enough for a lock.

> But I'm sure there's a better way to determine signal quality than
> guessing :)

if you go into live TV and tune that channel you can see the signal
information, or use azap.

my guess is the signal quality is poor, which a dedicated HD antenna
should help, depending on distance, interference, direction, etc.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!