[mythtv-users] directfb?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Mar 21 09:35:38 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 03:07:17PM -0400, Rich West wrote:
> I pulled down the latest ATrpms for FC5 (yes, yes.. I need to upgrade to
> FC6 at some point) and noticed it pulled down directfb, too.

Yes, but not as a direct dependency of mythtv, but as a dependency of
mplayer. mythtv needs to be rebuilt for switching to directfb.

> So.. let me ask.. What's the benefit of using directfb?  Is it less
> memory intensive and provide better overall performance?  Does it
> eliminate the need for running X?  Does it complicate things?

All yes. ;)

> I'm driving only TV's (not desktop computing with my FE's), which is
> what caused the spark in my curiosity...

If your mythtv box looks more like an embedded device (low on RAM)
then directfb is interesting for you. Otherwise probably not.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net