[mythtv-users] Always prescaling theme images on startup

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 07:06:23 UTC 2007

> With regards to how MythTV *currently* does scaling...
> Your best option is to send the signal to your HDTV in the original
> format for that picture and let your HDTV do the scaling. 1080i as
> 1920x1080i or 1920x1080p, 720p as 1280x720p, SD as 480i/p (720x480).

In Australia we have DVB broadcasts in 2 formats - SD & HD.
http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=7 says "The Standard
Definition picture resolution is 576 lines x 720 active pixels @ 50Hz
interlaced (576i)".

And for HD there are 4 different formats:
– 1920 active pixels x 1080 lines @ 50Hz interlaced
– 1440 active pixels x 1080 lines @ 50Hz interlaced
– 1280 active pixels x 720 lines @ 50Hz progressive
–   720 active pixels x 576 lines @ 50Hz progressive

Bearing in mind, then, that there is no one format that a recording
will be in, doesn't that make it pretty much impossible to send the
signal to a HDTV in its original format? Would the best plan be to
just pick one that seems to be the most common and go with that for
the X resolution? is there a way to tell from MythTV what format a
program was broadcast in? In reality, the most common format would
probably be SD as the majority of programs are broadcast in SD in
Australia, not HD.

Regards,
Phill