[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun for SDTV?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Mar 20 19:19:48 UTC 2007

Mark J. Scheller wrote:
> I'm in the Philadelphia area with FIOS TV currently recording on a PVR350
> attached to a cable box.  This is working OK, but I now have enough
> conflicts that I'm looking for an additional tuner.  Looking forward to the
> future, as I will "soon" have an HDTV capable set, I'm wondering whether I
> could get the HDHomeRun and use its 2 tuners now just to record SDTV
> content
> to my Myth (and eliminate the PVR350/cable box).
>
> Any input would be appreciated -- thanks in advance!
>
> [MjS]
It will depend entirely upon what unencrypted content your provider
pours down the 'wire'.
Content can be delivered by digital or analog streams.
Content can be SD or HD.
Some digital content is encrypted and you need a set top box.
Some digital content is not encrypted (although QAM256 encoded on cable').
The FCC mandates that cablecos provide the local off-air channels
through an unencrypted feed (ie: not 'premium content').
So you will get your local off-air available channels as HD content,
unencrypted, to the extent that the local network affiliates broadcast HD.
Other digital channels may bne HD or SD as the cableco decides.

You will probably still need the 'cable box' as it probably does the
optical to wire conversion required to split out the tv signals.

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor