[mythtv-users] mythtv applications crashes X

Bjorn Lundberg bjorn.lundberg at hep.lu.se
Tue Mar 20 18:52:17 UTC 2007

I have a very weird behavior on my FC6-64/MythTV(ATrpms version) system.
The hw-setup is PVR-150+Hauppauge DVB-T+Nexus DVB-S with NVidia 7950GT
on an E6600 CPU.
The TV-cards work perfectly with kaffeine and mplayer, so the problem
isn't there (I think).
I've had the system working perfectly for > 2 months when it last
weekend suddenly stopped recording what it was set to record and if I
now schedule a recording via the web-interface, everything looks OK, but
it doesn't record.
If I start any myth UI application on the server (mythtv-setup,
mythfrontend, mythtv...) X crashes and the final words from the
myth-application with the switch 'mythtv-setup -v all' are
"mythtv-setup: Fatal IO error: client killed".
X's final words (/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old) are
Backtrace:
0: /usr/bin/Xorg(xf86SigHandler+0x71) [0x491a31]
1: /lib64/libc.so.6 [0x382a430210]

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

Nothing remarkable either in /var/log/messages or dmesg.
I can start mythtv-setup under vnc or nxclient without problems and the
setup looks OK, but not under the local hardware X-server.
I haven't updated or installed anything in 2 weeks (I do it manually) so
it can't be a new driver/program that's causing it.
I've backuped and re-initialized the mysql database and cold-rebooted
the machine to no avail.
Ordinary user or root doesn't matter, same behavior.

Any thoughts or similar experiences out there?