[mythtv-users] Always prescaling theme images on startup

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 18:18:05 UTC 2007

On 3/20/07, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> With regards to how MythTV *currently* does scaling...
> Your best option is to send the signal to your HDTV in the original
> format for that picture and let your HDTV do the scaling. 1080i as
> 1920x1080i or 1920x1080p, 720p as 1280x720p, SD as 480i/p (720x480).
>
> The reasoning behind this is that your HDTV will have a better scaler
> than MythTV does.

My question is, assuming I use xorg.conf to use a resolution that
matches one in my CRT, but then I adjust the x and y gui sizes (and
have my tv use those sizes) to compensate for overscan, is it then
scaling the video to a non-native resolution that the TV needs to
adjust?  How can I set to a native resolution and take into account
the overscan without having both myth and the tv rescale?