[mythtv-users] Blu-Ray/HD-DVD versus MythTV HD recordings

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 16:23:26 UTC 2007

> On Mar 20, 2007, at 6:41 AM, ryan patterson wrote:
> > I have a 1080p 47 inch LCD display and a PS3 that I watch blueray
> > disc on, so I think I can answer the question.  Speaking about
> > image quality: Blueray discs are significantly better then upscaled
> > DVD's.  There is no comparison between the two.  1080p blue ray
> > compared to OTA ATSC (720p or 1080i) there is much less of an
> > improvement but it is still noticeable.  Some ATSC recordings show
> > compression artifacts.  Like live sporting events often show
> > significantly noticeable artifacts.  So far blueray has no
> > artifacts.  Of course any lossless compression is capable of
> > artifacting.

I assume Mr. Patterson meant lossy compression is capable of artifacting.

> Movies may well, of course, have been encoded with multiple passes
> using the best gear available. Live events, must be encoded in real-
> time, and even with the best gear that limits what you can do.

at a given bitrate yes, but hardware compression is quite advanced,
and given enough bitrate room sports events would look much better.
Even a 10-20% increase in bitrate during football games would yield a
world of difference in quality. Watch HDNet's coverage of MLS or TNT's
coverage of the NBA for example, they both use a higher bitrate than
ABC/ESPN do for their HD (beyond the fact that they are 1080i instead
of 720p, they use a higher bitrate than the other 1080i broadcasters).

> Get used to it. Our parents lived with "snow" and we will learn to
> live with "artifacts".

only because cable companies refuse to offer quality of signal
assurance, or even try to fix signal quality issues.

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -