[mythtv-users] Blu-Ray/HD-DVD versus MythTV HD recordings

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Tue Mar 20 16:16:53 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 20 March 2007 11:39, Brian Wood wrote:

> I'm not sure where to even start on that one, as ANY compression
> scheme will degrade the original video, by definition. Even the best
> DVDs are full of mpeg artifacts if you know what to look for.

Nit-picky correction: Any **LOSSY** compression scheme will degrade the
original video. Although I'm not aware of any lossless compression scheme
used for video, they are theoretically possible (and might exist but be
unknown to me); they just wouldn't compress very much. It'd be like a GIF
(lossless compression) vs. a JPEG (lossy compression) for a still photo.
Lossless compression is common for storing program files and other data that
shouldn't be changed in the compression/decompression process. You wouldn't
want to use a lossy compression scheme on your tax return data, for instance!

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com