[mythtv-users] Blu-Ray/HD-DVD versus MythTV HD recordings

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Mar 20 13:51:35 UTC 2007

On Mar 20, 2007, at 6:41 AM, ryan patterson wrote:

> I have a 1080p 47 inch LCD display and a PS3 that I watch blueray
> disc on, so I think I can answer the question.  Speaking about
> image quality: Blueray discs are significantly better then upscaled
> DVD's.  There is no comparison between the two.  1080p blue ray
> compared to OTA ATSC (720p or 1080i) there is much less of an
> improvement but it is still noticeable.  Some ATSC recordings show
> compression artifacts.  Like live sporting events often show
> significantly noticeable artifacts.  So far blueray has no
> artifacts.  Of course any lossless compression is capable of
> artifacting.

Movies may well, of course, have been encoded with multiple passes
using the best gear available. Live events, must be encoded in real-
time, and even with the best gear that limits what you can do.

Add to that the MPEG transport used by the networks and you have MPEG
artifacts that any discriminating viewer will see, most often in
unpredictable motion like sports. Even the SuperBowl was full of such
things.

Get used to it. Our parents lived with "snow" and we will learn to
live with "artifacts".