[mythtv-users] Blu-Ray/HD-DVD versus MythTV HD recordings

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Mar 19 21:02:14 UTC 2007

On Mar 19, 2007, at 12:29 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:

> Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> says:
>> I would certainly not buy a PS3 just for a Myth frontend, but if you
>> are looking for the cheapest BR player available, and also get a
>> machine that can run Linux and perhaps Myth, it's certainly a
>> bargain.
>
> Speaking of Blu-Ray, how do recordings on Blu-Ray (and HD-DVD) discs
> look compared to what MythTV can do with undiluted recordings from
> high-bandwidth HD cable channels over FireWire, or via ATSC? I realize
> that the discs offer the potential for 1080p versus 1080i for cable
> (or ATSC), but does this actually make a difference in practice?  What
> if a good-quality scaler like Bob is used?

Can't really answer. I have only a 1080i-capable display, and the
only BR disk I have is the "Taledega Nights" that came with the PS3.

I use the "Elephant Dream" HD file to test and it looks as good as
the BR disk on my 32" LCD, in fact the ED file actually looks better,
but remember that it was computer generated, not shot on film and
then transferred to video. I have no way to tell if going to 1080p
would actually improve things noticeably.

Bob is a de-interlacer AFAIK, not a scaler. I don't have problems
with interlace artifacts with any of my HD sources, but I haven't
tried to get off-the-cable HD recordings yet.