[mythtv-users] HD TV Out Video Card Options?

Henry A Harper III hah at alumni.rice.edu
Mon Mar 19 03:48:43 UTC 2007

> Mark Bell wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone give me any input on a decent PCIEx16 or PCIEx4 video card
> > for mythtv .20
> >
> > I will need to output to a HD Monitor via Component somehow and a PC
> > LCD via DVI or VGA
> >
> > New motherboard does not have an AGP slot and onboard video is Intel
> > GMA X3000
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> I am curently using a FX5200 with a home-made vga to RGBHV converter
> (Basically component but with the H and V sync signals broken out to
> their own input) to output 480p and 1080i on a Philips HD monitor.
> Picture looks great and the card has no problems outputting the signal.
> Since you are looking for component, you will need a model that has a
> converter dongle. Your video card is not going to be the bottleneck as
> long as it has hardware MPEG decoders so pick the one that provides the
> outputs you need. Be sure to pick a fanless model if sound level is an
> issue.
> ====
> Thanks
> I don't need the H, V just the RGB
> I do have a VGA to RGB adapter cable but cannot get it to work
> with my 5200. Should this cable work with the right xorg config

I have an Asus 7600GS PCIe16 (fanless) working just great on 1080i via
component-out dongle to my CRT RPTV w/recent (9746) nvidia binary driver.
Had a very unsuccessful time last August trying to get a VGA-RGBHV breakout
cable to work w/ the TV and fiddling with modelines. What worked was the
Option "TVStandard" "HD1080i" and let the TV-encoder worry about the
modeline. The 7600 is considered overkill here but I was in a "better safe
than sorry" mode trying to get my first myth box working before the fall TV
shows started. I just barely made it and have been watching way too much TV
ever since, thanks to the mythtv developers (before myth I had a
HD-DirecTivo).